Re: Biff - why won't it work?

1998-07-29 10:41:02

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, John Clare wrote:

Hi all,

I'm kind of stuck with something - I recently set up filtering using
procmail on our system, and it works fine in all respects save one. When
it runs biff, biff always checks my mail spool file and not the filter
file which it's told to check (I looked at the log file for procmail with
verbose on) - is there something wrong with my copy of biff, or should it
be upgraded? I am a user on a Digital Unix DEC Alpha. Any help would be
appreciated, thank you.

I have a similar problem on a sun ultra running Solaris 2.5.1- even when
the mail does go into the default mail file (/var/mail/{user}) biff
responds by notifying my terminal with the first message in the file,
rather than the offset, most recent message.  Is there any place to
upgrade the biff daemon?  Any other solution?

Thanks,
Mark Miller
mjm(_at_)bnet(_dot_)org

John Clare

---

"Language has not the power to speak what love indites:
The soul lies buried in the ink that writes."

 eirinn(_at_)valhalla(_dot_)com  (http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~jpc)