Re: setting up an autoreply

1998-08-03 17:00:40

        okay here goes a stupendously nasty hack but it works.

# This rule is to auto-reply to messages sent to
recruiting(_at_)transmeta(_dot_)com
# It will not reply to mail sent to it from a transmeta.com address
# Do not change this rule unless you know what you are doing. Send mail to
# Jauder Ho <jauderho(_at_)transmeta(_dot_)com> first.
:0 h c
* !^FROM_DAEMON
* !^From:(_dot_)*(_at_)transmeta(_dot_)com
* ^To:(_dot_)*recruiting(_at_)transmeta(_dot_)com
| (formail -r -A"Precedence: junk" -A"X-Loop: xxx(_at_)transmeta(_dot_)com" \
  -i "From: recruiting(_at_)transmeta(_dot_)com" ; \
  cat $MAILDIR/.recruiting.msg) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

modify

:0 c
* ^Subject:.*subscribe
| (formail -r -A"Precedence: junk" -A"X-Loop: <your email> \
  -i "From: <email> ; \
  cat $MAILDIR/.msg) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

that should work in a basic form.

--jauder

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 webgrrls(_at_)xsite(_dot_)net wrote:

Hello all--
I've subscribed to this list with the hope that some of you can assist a
procmail newbie (that's me!)

Here's my situation: I manage a mailing list which sends me copies of the
"subscribe" messages so I can keep track of the membership. Whenever I
receive a "subscribe" message, I respond by hand with a welcome message.
However, my list has been booming lately, and I can't keep up with the
replies. I would like to have an autoreply (residing on the mail server)
which would filter on the subject line to send the welcome message reply
automatically.

I realize most mailing list software has this kind of function, but for
whatever reason my list admin says it won't work and I'm not inclined to
argue. ;) Others have told me that procmail can perform the functions I'm
looking for, but I can't find anyone to give me step-by-step instructions.
Hopefully someone in this forum will be able to provide me with an answer!

TIA,
--> Amy

P.S. please cc: me on the reply, as I'm only subscribed to the digest.

     Amy Fisher, Pointgrrl, Chicago Webgrrls
     http://www.webgrrls.com/chicago/ ++++ chicago(_at_)webgrrls(_dot_)com
     The Bluefield Group Ltd.
     arf(_at_)bluefield(_dot_)com   ++++   http://www.bluefield.com/