Re: setting up an autoreply

1998-08-04 11:08:32
Thanks to everyone who has sent me helpful replies so far!

I was just browsing the procmailex man page, and saw this:
If someone sends you a mail with the word `retrieve' in  the subject, the
following will automatically send back the contents of info_file to the
sender.  Like in all recipes where we send mail, we watch out for mail
loops.

          :0
          * !^From +YOUR_USERNAME
          * !^Subject:.*Re:
          * !^FROM_DAEMON
          * ^Subject:.*retrieve
          | (formail -r ; cat info_file) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

Isn't this really what I'm trying to do? Since I am searching for a
subject line of:
        [admin] subscribe
my recipe would look like this:

          * !^From +webgrrls
          * !^Subject:.*Chicago Webgrrls Listserv FAQ
          * !^FROM_DAEMON
          * ^Subject:.*[admin] subscribe
          | (formail -r ; cat info_file) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

Does the * in "^Subject:.*[admin] subscribe" act like a wild card, or does
it have another function here? i.e. the recipe as above would catch and
reply to messages with "Re: [admin] subscribe" in the subject line? Since
I would not want this to happen, could I delete the *?

Again, please cc: me on the reply, as I'm subscribed to the digest.

--> Amy

     Amy Fisher, Pointgrrl, Chicago Webgrrls
     http://www.webgrrls.com/chicago/ ++++ chicago(_at_)webgrrls(_dot_)com
     The Bluefield Group Ltd.