Re: And then, suddenly... "lock failure on x" (long-ish)

1998-08-06 11:27:16
Many thanks for the detailed explanation, David.

|     You could, instead of using /usr/mail/$LOGNAME, use a file below your
|      home directory as your default mailbox.
|
| -> And tell the POP3 daemon to get my mail for me from the new location,
| -> how?

That I do not know.  It would be the best solution, and it's what I recommend
to people who read their mail on-line at their providers if they have this
problem.  All it takes is changing the value of $DEFAULT.

That could work, but until I find out how to instruct the POP3 mechanism to
look for mail in the new location, I'd have to telnet or ftp to the
account, get the mail file and then have my win95 mail client read it in
(Agent can do it). It's workable, but ugly.

|     Or, you could still use /usr/mail/$LOGNAME as the mailbox, but simply
|      instruct procmail to use a different lockfile. This can be achieved by
|      putting following recipe at the bottom of your .procmailrc file:
|
|     :0:$HOME/.lockmail
|     $DEFAULT
|
| -> I get this bit, but does that mean I need to add the lockfile location
| -> to each and every delivering recipe (that writes to a file)? Can this be
| -> achieved globally from the level of .procmailrc?

Yes, you'd need to name the local lockfile on every save to $DEFAULT, and no,
it can't properly be achieved globally.  You could do it globally by naming
$HOME/.lockmail [or whatever] as a global lockfile for your whole
.procmailrc, but then a procmail process that delivers to another folder or
doesn't deliver to a folder at all could not run at the same time as one that
delivers to $DEFAULT.

Right. I'll try this for a quick-and-dirty solution now, and later perhaps
switch to including a separate rc file. Thanks again!

.marek

--
General Frenetics, Discorporated: http://www.lodz.pdi.net/~eristic/
"The war isn't the war between the blacks and the whites, the liberals