Re: System-wide Procmail

1998-08-11 09:03:58
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Alan V. Shackelford wrote:

I read alot here about various configurations for controlling unwanted
mail, and have implemented some of them on my account here at shaknet. I
am curious how many of you are applying these rules system-wide, and how
confident are you that genuine mails always get through the filters. I
think it is time to apply such a setup at my office, where one
linux-powered 486DX2/66 is supporting 200 users with email. They are not
high volume mail users, but they expect their mails to go through.

Alan

I would say the overriding concern in implementing sitewide mail filtering
is to *be conservative*.

Don't ever send anything quietly to /dev/null.

If you want to trap spam then modify trapped spam messages to add a header
or change the subject (e.g. by prepending [SPAM]) and show your users how
to filter such messages automatically themselves using their mail clients.

If they actually log into and use the system that mail is being delivered
on then you *might* consider saving spams in a "spam" folder and showing
them how to read and purge it, but this won't work if they use POP/IMAP
and a (for instance) Windows-based email client.

See http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/procmail-security.html for
some information about sitewide security filters.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ
jhardin(_at_)wolfenet(_dot_)com