Re: System-wide Procmail

1998-08-12 09:10:23
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, David W. Tamkin wrote:

John Hardin said of system-wide spamtrapping:

| If you want to trap spam then modify trapped spam messages to add a header
| or change the subject (e.g. by prepending [SPAM]) and show your users how
| to filter such messages automatically themselves using their mail clients.

Don't even be so cocky as to mark it as spam.  Tag it "[possible spam]" or
"[spam?]".  I'm quite serious: the last thing you need is an irate user on
your neck because an important message from a relative or a boss came through
confidently labeled "[SPAM]".

Another idea may be to add a header line rather than gumming up the subject,
depending on how sophisticated the user's filtering is.  (Some depend
entirely on scanning subject lines by eye, others don't like having the real
subject pushed out of the way.)  Again, use tentative language rather than
bold, sweeping statements;

is going to be a lot less offensive on a false positive than

Which is great in a Unix environment, and I agree it's the preferred
solution. Windows mail programs tend to throw away headers with gay
abandon, in the belief that the users don't need to see them.

(Bitter? Me? Five+ years of cc:Mail does that to you.)

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ
jhardin(_at_)wolfenet(_dot_)com