[Procmail] Starting Procmail from .vacation.

1998-08-12 14:08:38

Hi,

Ok, its me again... new problem.
(still mulling over the old one too)

Problem:
  My ISP uses Solaris, SolarisX86 and OSF/1.  My Home directory is mounted
  on all of them so as to appear as the same place.  MX hosts can be any of
  them.

  In short, any of the three OSs can be the recipiant of an e-mail message
  and process via the .forward file.  Since I don't have privies to put
  procmail into /usr/local/bin i have it in my $HOME/bin.  The problem is
  exec(ing) the appropriate binary for the platform that has recieved the
  mail with some safety (if it cant exec a binary write the input to a file
  in $HOME/mail).

  I started some work on a perl program to do this, but that counter acts
  some of the savings one gains from using procmail due to the overhead of
  starting perl.

  Has anyone had this problem before (I can't be the first)?  Does anyone
  have a shell script to do something like this?  I can just put three lines
  in my .forward one for each system and what fails fails, and what works
  works (This shounds like a BAD THING(tm) to me)?

  Procmail is located in the following directories for each platform.
  OSF     = $HOME/bin/osf/bin
  Sol     = $HOME/bin/sol/bin
  Sol X86 = $HOME/bin/solx86/bin

Christopher G. Oxenreider      | I support the |   Cute Quote Server Busy.
oxenreid(_at_)state(_dot_)net             |     E F F     |
#include<std_disclaimer.h>     |  www.eff.org  |
http://www.state.net/~oxenreid |   Are you?    |