Re: tcsh problems (was Re: procmail documentation problem)

1998-08-15 10:44:06
New groom Era Eriksson wrote,

| I get the feeling some sites are running procmail+tcsh almost without
| any problems. Other sites, including mine, get really mysterious
| errors such as | cat file1 file2 | formail in a recipe simply not
| working. It is unclear to me whether this is a "feature" of tcsh, a
| bug in Procmail, or a combination of the two. Anybody have any idea
| why this is happening?

There are two general classes of problems in using csh or a derivative as
your procmailrc's shell:

1. terminal-dependent commands in .cshrc that should be either placed in
.login or wrapped in an if structure that skips them if the shell is not
attached to a terminal;

2. csh's general problems as a scripting shell.