Re: procmail $DEFAULT problems

1998-08-16 19:40:29
Gregory Sutter suggested to Volker Kuhlmann,

| I can only offer some trivialities:
|
| 1.  Does $HOME/Mail/inbox exist, and is it writable by you?  Is
| $HOME/Mail rwx by you?

Yes, we know it does, because when Volker uses a recipe that explicitly
saves to it under the name $DEFAULT, the recipe works.  It fails only when
procmail falls off the end of the rcfile.  (Actually, it doesn't have to
exist if procmail can create it.)

| 2.  Put the SHELL=/bin/sh as the first line of your .procmailrc.

Not a factor; everything above the SHELL assignment is something that
procmail handles without forking a shell.

| 3.  Quote your path. (PATH="/bin:/usr...") Shouldn't be necessary, but...

It isn't; there are no special characters in the setting.

| 4.  Again, this probably shouldn't matter, but try setting
| MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
| then making
| DEFAULT="inbox"

You know, it shouldn't, but I wonder what would happen.  Volker's situation
is so danged anomalous that I wouldn't place any bets.  I'm really curious to
know whether that would somehow make it work.

| I think what
| may be happening is that procmail is using whatever usual shell to
| process the commands up until the SHELL assignment, then using the
| shell in SHELL to process the rest of the file.

No, procmail is not using a shell at all for what is above the SHELL
definition.