Re: filelock

1998-08-21 16:34:01
On 21 August 1998, PBleickardt <wbleickardt(_at_)monmouth(_dot_)com> wrote:
PBleickardt <wbleickardt(_at_)monmouth(_dot_)com> writes:
How come procmail is ignoring a .lock file?

I have in /var/spool/mail/

-rw-------   1 contact  contact      3600 Aug 21 14:22 contact
-r--r--r--   1 contact  contact         1 Aug 21 14:21 contact.lock

So why can mail still come in to user contact, completely ignoring the lock
file?

Are you completely sure that procmail the one delivering the mail?
If yes, have you turned on verbose logging?  (If you have, why didn't
you include it in your post?)

Philip Guenther

No, I don't have verbose on...  I figured what the problem was:
/var/spool/mail was owned by root:root When I changed its owner to
contact:contact, procmail honored the contact.lock file.

But I really don't want /var/spool/mail to be owned by contact! And
what if I need to lock other spoolfiles. What is the solution to this
problem?

    Use lockfile(1) to set or remove locks, don't create them yourself.

    Regards,

    Liviu

--
Dr. Liviu Daia                   e-mail:   daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics         web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia