anon. mail for a class

1998-08-27 00:16:17
Hi-

I have an instructor for whom I set up a Smartlist mailing list.
(This *is* a procmail question :^).  He uses it for discussion
in a Geology class he teaches.  Some students however have expressed
unwillingness to participate for fear of asking a dumb question.
So he wants them to be able to send mail anonymously just to get
their questions answered on this list.  I would not allow the anonymous
mail to go anywhere except to this list.

First, I began by creating a user account called 'gs2' for this purpose.
I used the standard .forward file:

   "|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #gs2"

Not too long ago, David Tamkin gave me a recipe to rewrite the header's
"From " address so I continued by using that.  Unfortunately, I didn't
get much further and it doesn't come close to doing what I need.
I don't pretend to know how to accomplish this.  I was trying to
learn by bungling.  :^)

This is the .procmailrc for user gs2:

   DEFAULT=/var/mail/gs2
   MAILDIR=/home/gs2/.procmail
   LOCKFILE=$MAILDIR/.lockfile
   LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/.log
   VERBOSE=on

   savemetas=$SHELLMETAS
   SHELLMETAS
   :0h
   AUTHOR_ADDRESS=| formail -IReply-To: -IResent- -rtzxTo:
   :0fwh
   | sed "1s/^From [^ ]*/From gs2(_at_)magic(_dot_)geol(_dot_)ucsb(_dot_)edu/"
   SHELLMETAS=$savemetas
   :0h
   | $SENDMAIL -oi -t dave(_at_)magic(_dot_)geol(_dot_)ucsb(_dot_)edu

I then tested it by sending mail to the gs2 account.  It was supposed
to arrive in my account (as a test) with the "From " header
showing the gs2 address.  I don't understand why but, instead,
I received mail without the headers changed and multiple messages
coming to me.  I think I had to kill & restart sendmail.

Anyway, any help in getting this right would be much appreciated.

Dave Robbins