Re: anon. mail for a class

1998-08-27 10:49:20
On 27 August 1998, Dave Robbins
<dave(_at_)magic(_dot_)geol(_dot_)ucsb(_dot_)edu> wrote:
I have an instructor for whom I set up a Smartlist mailing list.
(This *is* a procmail question :^). He uses it for discussion in
a Geology class he teaches.  Some students however have expressed
unwillingness to participate for fear of asking a dumb question.  So
he wants them to be able to send mail anonymously just to get their
questions answered on this list.  I would not allow the anonymous mail
to go anywhere except to this list.

First, I began by creating a user account called 'gs2' for this
purpose.  I used the standard .forward file:

   "|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #gs2"

Not too long ago, David Tamkin gave me a recipe to rewrite the
header's "From " address so I continued by using that.  Unfortunately,
I didn't get much further and it doesn't come close to doing what I
need.  I don't pretend to know how to accomplish this.  I was trying
to learn by bungling. :^)

This is the .procmailrc for user gs2:
[...]
I then tested it by sending mail to the gs2 account.  It was supposed
to arrive in my account (as a test) with the "From " header showing
the gs2 address.  I don't understand why but, instead, I received mail
without the headers changed and multiple messages coming to me.  I
[...]

    Maybe I'm missing something here, but why don't you create an
anonymous account, and make that account delete "From:" lines and
forward all messages to your instructor?

    Regards,

    Liviu

--
Dr. Liviu Daia                   e-mail:   daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics         web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia