Re: .forward if procmail is the LDA

1998-09-03 13:55:24
And thus spake David W. Tamkin, on Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 02:37:33PM -0500:
This is something I've always wondered about but never had the means to see
for myself, as I've always invoked procmail from .forward and never been on
a site where it was the LDA.

If procmail is the LDA, it reads /etc/procmailrc if it exists; drops
privileges if it hasn't already been told to; then reads
/etc/procmailrcs/$LOGNAME if that exists; and finally reads the recipient's
$HOME/.procmailrc if it exists or delivers to the user's $ORGMAIL if it
doesn't.  Yes?  (I guess it doesn't exactly drop privs at that point ... it
changes to those of the owner of /etc/procmailrcs/$LOGNAME and then, unless
told to do so sooner, drops them totally before reading $HOME/.procmailrc.)

Now, where does $HOME/.forward fit into this?  If the user has no .procmailrc
but does have a .forward, does procmail as LDA pay any attention to it?

If you have a .forward, it is used by sendmail to replace a call to the
LDA for the user in question.

So if you have a .forward that doesn't call procmail, procmail is never
called - whatever you have in your .forward is considered the recipient
instead (and if it's a |program, it just gets sent with the Mprog defined,
usually either /bin/sh or smrsh).

--
Elie Rosenblum <erosenbl at nyx.net>That is not dead which can eternal lie,
     <fnord at cosanostra.net>   And with strange aeons even death may die.