Re: Looking for a simple rule to remove a 4 lignes signature.

1998-09-10 07:54:37

First, you need web access (and I believe more than just lynx)
to get off their mailing lists.  That's like having to use your
TV remote control to turn off your car radio.  Yeah, I have one,
but it's not usually in the car.

My own list webpage is text only so Lynx has no
trouble with it.  (I thought of that part).

Second, when you get there, God help you if you've forgotten
your password (or the exact address under which you're subscribed--
though other lists have this latter problem also).

The password bit is a pain.  What I do is send a
confirmation request with an ID number to the person that sends the
unsubscribe request.  I generate an unique number that must be put on
the subject of the reply.

You know which address you subscribed on
by looking at the headers.  If you set up your misc.
email addresses to forward your mail to one email address it's easy to
find out.

It's clearly much easier to just complain to that type of list
until the list owner notices and unsubscribes you.  (Or change
your procmail script to start bouncing that list's mail, to
head back towards "on topic"  :-)

I personnally took note of the text used by people
complaining on the misc. lists I am on.  These are
the patterns I check for in the subject and text of
messages: (Those patterns are treated like unsubscribe requests).

* B ?? (let me out|disconnect me|sign
off|unsubscribe|remove|signoff|get off this list|stop sending me mail)

* ^Subject:.*(let me out|disconnect me|signoff|sign
off|remove|unsubscribe|get off this list|leave this list|stop sending
me mail)

Of course there are still morons out there that
can't spell unsubscribe correctly.

Jacques G.