Help w/splitting

1998-09-13 03:52:55
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this?  I'm trying to split some old
email archives into individual files while stripping unimportant header
fields.  From my shell I'm trying:

  % set FILENO=0000

followed by the real work:

  % formail < inputfile -k -X Date: -X From: -X To: -X Subject: -X

What I end up with is one big file named "0000.txt" instead of a bunch of
little files counting upward from 0000.txt.  My interpretation of the
manpage says it should spit out each message after incrementing FILENO.
Obviously I'm mistaken.

The formail manpage seems to indicate that the messages will just be
rejoined onto stdout if you don't give -s a real program to feed.  So I
also tried using ...-ds cat -e $FILENO.txt with the same results.

Assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave Wells