Problems with sendmail and procmail

1998-09-25 13:25:53

Hello group,

I have been attempting for the last couple of days to get sendmail-8.9.1
to make use of procmail for a need auto responder. We have changed domain
names, and I thought I could get procmail to take a look at incoming mail
and if it was the name of the old domain to autorespond with e-mail about
the new domain.

I not only have procmail as the mailer in the form of:

#####  @(#)procmail.m4  8.11 (Berkeley) 5/19/98  #####

Mprocmail,    P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=DFMSPhun, S=11/31, R=21/31,
T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                    A=procmail -Y -m $h $g $u

but procmail defined as the local mailer as well:

Mlocal,      P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9, S=10/30,
R=20/40,
                T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u

To access the recipe, I have attempted to use /etc/mail/mailertable with
the following entry:

belv.com  procmail:/etc/mail/procmailrcs/belv.com

And before anyone ask, yes, I have /etc/mail/mailertable as a dbm
database.

Again the theory is that anyone sending mail to belv.com, will get an
automatic reply telling of the domain change. The problem is that to some
degree sendmail seems to ignore the local mailer... Procmail as a mailer
is working, because mail does get delivered, but at no time is there any
attempts to run the incoming mail through the recipe. THe recipe is just
a simple variation of the vacation recipe.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
MAILDIR=/var/mail       # You'd better make sure it exists
VERBOSE=on
LOGFILE=/etc/mail/procmailrcs/procmail.log

:0 Whc: new_domain.lock
# Perform a quick check to see if the mail was addressed to us
   * $^To:.belv.com
   # Don't reply to daemons and mailinglists
   * !^FROM_DAEMON
   * !^FROM_MAILER
   * !^From:.*belv.com

   | formail -rD 32768 new_domain.cache

   :0 ehc         # if the name was not in the cache
   | (formail -rA"Precedence: junk" \
   -A"X-Loop: auto-responder(_at_)dstina(_dot_)com" ; \
   cat /etc/mail/procmailrcs/belv.txt \
   ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

If anyone has any ideas about what the problem may be, I would be much
appreciate. I saw an earlier posting, where someone was modifying
rules... I would not like to do that if at all possible.

Thanks,

Kim C. Callis
kcallis(_at_)belv(_dot_)com