Re: Outgoing mail

1998-10-02 13:51:12
As Adam Rice posted,

| David W. Tamkin--
| >| Is it possible to store sent mail in different folders according to the
| >| "To" field of the message?

Actually, Ray LaRocca wrote that.  (Adam left it in the additional depth of
citation characters but deleted Ray's name.)  I wrote this:

| >Yes; the trick is getting procmail to see your outgoing mail.

Adam responded,

| Another approach would be to CC yourself by default on everything. A little
| wasteful, I suppose, but straightforward. With some mail clients, it would
| be easy to do this by default. With others, perhaps not.

Well, yes.  Precisely *because* it is wasteful, most MUAs are designed to
let the sender keep a copy by simply filing it themselves instead of passing
it through the MTA and the MDA to return to the writer, and since that is
the usual method, no program other than the MUA ever sees it.

Ray uses Pine, which does allow filtering outgoing mail through a
preprocessor.  If someone could clear my schedule for a week to give me a
chance to learn Pine, that alone would be reason to switch from Elm (Elm is
supposed to offer it eventually, but it keeps getting postponed).  Meanwhile,
where I need it, I use mailx.

One can get very accustomed to mailx, I've found.