Re: autoreso. mail bombing avoidance

1998-10-10 20:36:15
On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, era eriksson wrote:

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998 06:37:45 -0400,
"Christian Stalberg" <stalberg(_at_)resell(_dot_)net> wrote:
 > what is the recipe syntax to avoid having an autoreponder send
 > mail to an address different than the requestor? our autoresp.
 > is being abused to mailbomb people. here is our recipe at present:
 > :0
 > * ^TOcontract
 > |(formail -rt \
 >    -I"Subject: Service Agreement" ;\
 >    cat /home2/www/autoreply/contract.txt) | /usr/lib/sendmail -t

Every single bit of mail headers can be forged, except Received: lines
added by your local system. Any mail bomber worth his salt will have
used a relay rape to send out the bombs, perhaps via an open relay
which doesn't even try to verify the origin of the incoming relay.

Another thing I look for is to see if the domain the mail is claiming to
either be from - or sent to - actually appears in the headers.  If it
didn't, my responder sent the recipient a short message saying why "their
request" was denied, how to get the files they requested, and a copy of
the headers of the request in case someone was being a twit.

--
"APL is a write-only language.  I can write programs in APL, but I
can't read any of them."