Re: help:detect bounce source

1998-10-27 11:24:36
|Tue 1998-10-27 era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> list.procmail
| On Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:54:12 -0600 (CST), UZ
<suriono(_at_)ece(_dot_)umn(_dot_)edu>
| wrote:
|  > Does anyone know how procmail identifies the source of a bounce email ?
|  > For example, an email bounced from anonymous(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com by
its server
|  > (Mailer Daemon). Is that a way that procmail could extract the information
|  > of the email address that bounce ?
|
| The problem is that there is not "a" way. Every MUA seems to use a
| slightly different bounce format, so you'd have to have one recipe for
| picking apart old Sendmail bounces, another for newish Sendmail
| bounces, another for Qmail, and you'll probably never figure out how
| to do it with Microsoft Exchange bounces (but who thought otherwise).

Indeed as Era wrote, it's impossible to pick the bounced address from
message reliably. I use pm-jadaemon.rc which detects the daemon messages
(not necessarily bounces, but "undeliverable" and so on...), and it's
nightmare to get every MTA detection there.

Sometimes I wish they would all use sensmail which have a standard
error message format.

jari