Re: bogus mail box

1998-10-28 12:06:57
At 20:00 28-10-98 +0200, Liviu Daia wrote:
On 28 October 1998, Clemens Schmuck
<clemens(_at_)wst(_dot_)edvz(_dot_)sbg(_dot_)ac(_dot_)at> wrote:
[...]
so does anybody know how to 'close' mailboxes for individual users
using procmail?

I think this would require a lot of work.  The approach would likely
involve a systemwide procmail script.

      nastyboy:       /dev/null

to your system-wide alias file for each user that shouldn't receive
mail, then run "newaliases".

If you're running a sufficiently current (v8 ?) Sendmail (you definatley
are), check out the virtusertable feature.  You could make an entry such as:

nastyboy(_at_)domain    ERROR: 550 This account closed due to spamming.

(use appropriate message for your situtation though)

This should keep the system from so much as accepting inbound mail for the
user -- and lets the sender know that.  I think aliasing the user mailbox
to /dev/null will still ACCEPT the mail, just route it to trash for local
delivery - thus a mailbomb to a closed mailbox for example would still suck
your bandwidth.  Does anyone know different?

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395