Re: automated archival of mails?

1998-10-30 14:00:29
|Fri 1998-10-30 era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> list.procmail
| <jauderho(_at_)transmeta(_dot_)com> posted to comp.mail.imap:
|  > TO<list>@transmeta.com ..list name ..location to deliver to a particular
inbox.

| One potential problem is that some (completely braindead, I'm quick to
| note) software will force the local part of addresses to uppercase or
| some other similar stupidity. (This is a violation of RFC822. Tell the
| guys who wrote IBM's MTA.) David Tamkin has devised a clever hack to
| fix this; I believe it's on Jari's Procmail tips page.

You mean the lowerce'ing recipe. Yup:

    9.21 Converting value to lowercase

I made a module to specifically deal with numerous mailing lists I've
somehow got into a little by little. Module currently find heurestically
any new mailing list I join in.

You can easily convert Grabbed list name to something more suitable folder
name if you wish. See JA_LIST_CONVERSION.

|  > Additionally the inbox will not be created automatically and needs to
|  > manually created if it doesn't exist..

I do exactly this: I manually create initial mailing list file to prevent
accident happening. Emacs Gnus reads ~/Mail/spool/list.<mailing-list-name>.spool

    RC_LIST     = $PMSRC/pm-jalist.rc

    INCLUDERC = $RC_LIST        # returns LIST if mail was from mailing list

    :0
    * LIST ?? [a-z]
    {
        spool = "$SPOOL/list.$LIST.spool"

        :0 :
        *$ ? $IS_EXIST $spool
        $spool
    }

$IS_EXIST is abraction of "test -r", because different platforms don't
support all -X file tests. See pm-tips.txt for more. pm-jalist.rc is part
of pm-code.shar, See X-info header.

jari