Re: procmail problem

1998-11-14 17:33:41
Gary Onesko <gao(_at_)web(_dot_)compuserve(_dot_)com> writes:
I'm having a problem with procmail v3.10, HP-UX 10.20 and pine 2.96.

I'm invoking procmail on a user basis using the standard .forward file
("IFS...) and a .procmailrc file with NO filtering.  I took out the
filtering thinking it was a problem but it didn't matter.

I can successfully send TWO emails to address
gao(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_) and procmail
works ok.   When I send more than two, procmail starts to process the
email, but then appears to go to sleep.  If I do a ps -ef | grep
procmail, I see procmail running but it never completes.  Mail.log shows
receiving the email (from) but never goes to the (to = IFS) step.

Now the caveat, the HP is a D370 with it's console port connected to a
Livingston swtichbox which is accessible through the LAN.  All of our
HP's are connected this way, but this is the only machine running
procmail.  When I connect to the console port via the switchbox,
procmail output is spewed to my screen AND THEN PROCMAIL COMPLETES
PROCESSING THE EMAIL.

So,  it appears procmail is trying to output to the console, it's buffer
is full after the first two emails and then procmail stops waiting for
the console to empty it's buffer.

It sounds like "console" was #defined in the config.h.  Make sure it's
commented out and recompile.  When commented out it should like the
following.  Note the "/*" at the beginning of that first line.

/*#define console       "/dev/console"  /* uncomment if you want procmail to
                                           use the console (or any other
        terminal or file) to print any error messages that could not be dumped
        in the "logfile"; only recommended for debugging purposes, if you have
        trouble creating a "logfile" or suspect that the trouble starts before
        procmail can interpret any rcfile or arguments. */

Philip Guenther