Re: Mailing list using procmail?

1998-11-29 17:57:01
        I haven't checked it out yet but I will and it will probably answer
this.. But here goes.. I have a domain that is hosted on a remote machine at
my ISP. All og the domain mail is forwarded to a personal account.. Is it
possible for this SmartList to run without any privilidges other than what a
normal user would have? I would like to impliment this without the ISP
really helping on the issue.. I am sure they would probably want to charge
me something for setting up a mailing list.. Plus it is going to be very low
volume..

Justin

At 11:38 AM 11/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, David W. Tamkin wrote:

Justin Rains asked,

|         I am sure you have all heard this.. But I would like to write a
| simple mailing list using procmail. I would list to be able to have people
| subscribe to the list and also remove themselves from it.

Why bother?  If you want a mailing list management package that works with
procmail, SmartList already exists.  There's really no need to write your own
from scratch.

Amen... I'm hosting 3 lists with it (soon the be 5) and it's
outstanding!

Cheers!
--
Chuck Mead, CEO - Moongroup Consulting, Inc. <chuck(_at_)moongroup(_dot_)com>
http://www.moongroup.com/

This isn't true in practice -- what we've missed out is Stradivarius's
constant.  And then the aside: "For those of you who don't know, that's
been called by others the fiddle factor..."
               -- From a 1B Electrical Engineering lecture.

Justin Rains
http://www.nku.edu/~rains/

[L]inux has an installed base conservatively estimated at around 3
million users.... [V]endors say that most of the top companies in the US have
bought the OS - but that few will readily admit to running their
multimillion-dollar corporations on code put together by a band of software
idealists. --
        _Wired_