RE: Netscape and procmail

1998-12-03 12:41:41

When I last used procmail with Netscape, the only way I could achieve a
result like you want was to:

o use procmail just to "tag" the incoming message with a header line like:

        recipient-folder: technical

o and setup filing rules in Netscape to interpret the header line and file
it according to the header line added by procmail

Now, in ancient versions of Netscape there was the capability to manually
add filing rules, which would permit the support of the above. In later
versions of Netscape, the filing rules are restricted to what you can get at
via the GUI. That didn't used to include scanning for such a non-standard
header line, so the option was to add a tag like (filing: technical) to the
end of the To: field which Netscape could then process.

That means that all of your mail is delivered to the Inbox and is picked up
by Netscape and processed into the folders. This is a major pain for
accessing mail remotely (ie on the road) if you receive a large no of
messages.

The other thing to be aware of is the Netscape does NOT do any file LOCKing.
If you have procmail and Netscape trying to modify the same folder
concurrently, you are likely to loose data. One option here, is to ensure
that Netscape uses IMAP to access the folders, but that slows it down...

Which trade-off do you want to take today? :-)

Cheers

        Mike