RE: Netscape and procmail

1998-12-04 08:56:33

I missed the first question on this so this may not answer the
netscape quetions, but I use procmail and Netscape together but
not on the same machine.

All my mail goes to a unix box with procmail running.  Then I
have procmail recipies (I use Gregory Sutter Junkfilter)

Then regardless of the content, I forward all mail to my POP
server which netscape picks up and puts in various folders for
me on that end based on the headers that I add from procmail.

One interesting problem I ran into was that somehow a spammer
once got hold of my POP account address (which I hoped to keep
secret)

I got around this by letting procmail add a unique header to every
email it processes.  Then I did a netscape filter looking for that
header.  If it was NOT there - then I assume it is SPAM going direct
to my POP account.

This has worked very well.  Here is the recipe I used to get this
to work:  (Thanks to this list for helping me with this a few months
ago.)

#this adds a flag to all mail processed by procmail
:0 f
| formail -a "X-PROCMAILPROCESSED: YES"

toddl