Re: + addressing

1998-12-07 01:29:25
On 6 December 1998, Shoeless in San Jose <batchman(_at_)slip(_dot_)net> wrote:
On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Matthew G. Saroff wrote:

Hi,
    I've tried + addressing, and the mail gets bounced back.
    I've tried to send to msaroff+testing(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com(_dot_)
    Am I using this notation incorrectly.

O.k., lemme give this a shot.  Here's what the pcrc man file says:

a+     Any sequence of one or more a's

The way you've got it, it'll look for one or more f's after msaroff,
which it will never find.  Try this

msaroff +testing(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com   or
msaroff(_dot_)+testing(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm off;

    You are. :-)

I'm still getting the hang of this stuff, too.

    The problem is not procmail, but the MTA on the recipient's
machine.  As other people said, it has to be sendmail, and it also
needs some config tweaking to accept + addresses (although 8.9.1 does
that by default, I think).  Other things like virtual users might
further complicate things too.  Basically, you can't do it without root
privileges.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--
Dr. Liviu Daia               e-mail:   daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics     web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia