Re: Duplicate email messages...

1998-12-08 19:03:10
Aleksandar Kacanski <kacanski(_at_)econ(_dot_)lsa(_dot_)umich(_dot_)edu> writes:
I have procmail-3.10, and following .procmailrc:

PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin:.

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail    # Pine, this should be $HOME/mail

DEFAULT=/var/mail/testuser
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/.logfile
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

# weed out duplicate messages, first thing
:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

# Anything that has not been delivered by now will go to $DEFAULT
# using LOCKFILE=$DEFAULT$LOCKEXT

It's not working, period!!
What am I doing wrong...

You failed to do the Right Thing, period!!

<pause>

I was tempted to leave my answer at that, to impress upon you how
little you actually said about how it failed, but my better nature
intervened, so keep reading.

First off, remove the LOCKFILE=.... line from your .procmailrc -- it is
only needed under special circumstances and causes problems the rest of
the time.  Next, remove the PATH=... line, unless you know that the
PATH compiled into procmail is inadequate.  If it is, you're better of
just appending or prepending additional directories instead of reseting
it completely.

Once that's done, _how_ does it fail to work?  Does email just
disappear?  What if someone else emails this account (perhaps the
message is bouncing)?  Does anything appear in the logfile
$HOME/mail/.logfile?  Or is the problem that nothing changed after you
created this .procmailrc?

HAVE YOU TALKED WITH YOUR SYSADMIN???  (They exist for a reason!  Heck,
it keep _me_ from the poor house...)

Remember folks, we can't read your mind.  Email systems have an amazing
number of ways to fail, so if you don't provide enough information to
identify the particular failure involved in your case then the answers
you'll get will be guesses at best and misleading at worst.  I don't
know about other people, but if I'm not I'm in the mood for it, I'll
just delete any message which doesn't provide enough information.
You're lucky: I have half a bottle of red wine in me, so I'm not
feeling very curmudgeonly...

Philip Guenther