Re: Duplicate email messages...

1998-12-11 22:30:52
Aleksandar Kacanski <kacanski(_at_)econ(_dot_)lsa(_dot_)umich(_dot_)edu> writes:
I am sys administrator, but lets forget this for a moment.
All I want to do is weed out duplicate email messages that will send mail
8.9.1 feed to email accounts, under specific conditions (e.a. mail to
mail list)
Until I track the error in sendmail or X.500 list, I need to enable users,
to setup filter that will replicated email.
If you have different approach for this let me know. I got this filter as
is, and it did not work.
I created in ~userdir/.procmailrc
procmail is located in /usr/local/bin
.logfile and .lockmail are in HOME and MAILDIR, which is ~userdir/mail.

It sounds like procmail isn't being run at all.  You need to either
make procmail the local delivery agent or create a .forward file that
feeds the message to procmail.  The former of those option is to be
prefered as it is more efficient and flexible.  To do so will require
changing the sendmail.cf file.  If you generated the sendmail.cf using
the m4 configuration tools that come with sendmail 8.x then you should
add the line:
        FEATURE(local_procmail)

to the .mc file that you're using, somewhere before the "MAILER(local)"
line, then regenerate the .cf file, install it, and restart sendmail.
If you aren't using the m4 tools then you'll need to hand edit the
sendmail.cf to change the local mailer definition, or better yet,
switch to using the m4 config tools.

Philip Guenther