vacation recipe

1998-12-10 14:53:03
I'm having trouble with the vacation recipe found in the
procmailex man page. Rather than replying to the sender,
it simply sends the reply to my own email account. I haven't
yet subscribed to the procmail list, so a direct reply to
this address would be greatly appreciated (and let's hope
that I haven't asked procmail to send your mail to /dev/null).

I just yesterday installed procmail (v3.11pre7) on my NeXT
(NS3.2 with black hardware). I'm also running elm v2.4 PL23,
and the version of sendmail that came with my NeXT. Procmail
seems to be working, which means that I have successfully
filtered messages with various subjects into selected folders.
The procmailex man page suggested the following recipe for
simulating the vacation program (I'll supply the recipe below
in case I have a typo in my .procmail/rc.maillists files):

SHELL=/bin/sh
:0 Whc: vacation.lock
* $^To:.*\<$\LOGNAME\>
* !^FROM_DAEMON
* ! ^(From|Sender|X-Sender):.*(listserv|majordomo|owner-|-owner)
| formail -rD 8192 vacation.cache
:0 ehc
| (formail -rA"Precedence: junk" \
  -A"X-Loop: bobs(_at_)terrapin(_dot_)phys(_dot_)washington(_dot_)edu" ; \
  echo "My apologies, this is an auto-reply test."; \
   ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

The "* ! ^(From|Sender..." line was not in the man page, but was
suggested by a procmail user. My understanding was that formail
re-formatted the header into a reply, but rather than inserting
the address of the original sender, my own address is being used.
Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Regards,

--
Robert Singleton          work: (206) 543-9640
Department of Physics     fax : (206) 685-0635