dropping long, long header fields (was Re: why is this failing?)

1998-12-27 02:43:28
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:06:43 -0500, "Robert Brown"
<robertb(_at_)continuumsi(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hi. I had some problems with some long header fields. "formail"
seems to drop long header fields completely. I'm not sure if
"formail" was crashing (I don't know where it could've put the core
file; it was processing the mail in a procmail script). I tried

Look in whatever MAILDIR is set to at that point.

looking at the man page for formail and it doesn't indicate that
there is any maximum limit to the size of the RFC822 header (does
it store it in memory?).

There shouldn't be any limit. Can you come up with an example? If it's
too obese, put it up on a web page and post the URL to the list or
something.

 $ echo -n From: ; dd if=/dev/zero count=1 2>/dev/null | tr '\000' 'z'

From:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 $ ( echo -n From: ; dd if=/dev/zero count=1 2>/dev/null | tr '\000' 'z') |
formail -zxFrom:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 $ ( echo -n From: ; dd if=/dev/zero count=1 2>/dev/null | tr '\000' 'z') |
formail -zxFrom: | wc
        1       1     513

 $ ( echo -n From: ; dd if=/dev/zero count=1000 2>/dev/null | tr '\000' 'z') |
formail -zxFrom: | wc
        1       1  512001

 $ ls -l *core*
 ls: *core*: No such file or directory

How much longer do you want?

/* era */

(In all honesty, I think this is the formail from procmail 3.11pre4.
formail doesn't have a -v switch but I hear it's coming, one of these
years.)

--
.obBotBait: It shouldn't even matter whether    <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>
I am a resident of the state of Washington. <http://members.xoom.com/procmail/>