Re: cannot open mailbox

1998-12-26 21:31:17
One other possibility that can occasionally occur... some previous
process number 29672 by some other user died without cleaning up,
leaving /tmp/*29672 around.  I don't know if "mail" is smart enough to try
another name or not; it's happened to me before with the elm/vi combination
while trying to create a PID-numbered temporary file.

If that's the case, a retry will "cure" it--and maybe the admin can be
asked to clean up /tmp.