Re: Bill Moseley's ${$MATCH} problem

1999-01-11 23:49:09
Philip Guenther wrote,

| How about:
|
|       :0
|       * $ $MATCH ?? ^^\/.*
|       ! $MATCH

Bloody heck.  Thank you, Philip.  I'd never have figured that "$" interpre-
tation would work on the variable name to the left of the question marks,
but I tried it and it does.  It's immeasurably better than either of my
suggestions.

In our private exchange about it, Philip added that the above would not
work if there were a newline in the name of the variable in the previous
value of MATCH, but a variable's name shouldn't have an embedded newline
anyway in any shell I know of.  Still, if it should,