Re: procmail and file attachements

1999-01-14 09:09:35
1999-01-13-12:20:59 Thomi Hug:
is there a possibility to get a file (ex. test.gif) out of
an incoming mail with procmail?

You can do _Anything_ with procmail alone; it's a complete programming
language. It is however not what many would regard as an _attractive_
programming language, and it's often better to use some helper programs to
make jobs hurt less.

If I wanted to have procmail automatically snag off an attachment, I'd use
procmail to recognize the message that has the attachment in it, then shove it
out to an external helper program to actually peel the attachment off.

Further more, I'd probably write my procmail to recognize MIME, and shove it
into something out of the metamail package to peel the attachment off. If I
couldn't guarantee the attachment would be coming in in MIME format, I'd put
some additional paragraphs up before the recognizer to detect some other
attachment formats, and shove offending messages through emil to convert them
into MIME.

-Bennett