Re: Message Processing

1999-02-08 05:42:50
I have a virtual domain name. I use Procmail on a Linux system to sort,
forward
and otherwise filter incoming mail. I've defined certain e-mail aliases;
addresses that aren't defined are returned using ERRORCODE=67.  If someone
sends
an e-mail to more than one of the predefined addresses @mydomain.com, only
the
first address in the TO: field is forwarded.

How do I make it so each @mydomain.com is handled and subject to the
filtering
of subsequent recipies in my .procmailrc
file?

The Procmail FAQ gives the following information:
-----------------------------
"It has been asked a number of times if it's possible to implement a
good forwarding scheme which can take care of things like Cc:s to
different users in the same virtual domain.

Here's what you might have started out with:
        :0
        * ^TO_jill(_at_)mydomain\(_dot_)virtual
        ! jill(_at_)real(_dot_)address

        :0
        * ^TO_jane(_at_)mydomain\(_dot_)virtual
        ! jane(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)else

The problem now is that if something comes in
To: both 'jane' and 'jill',
(with infinite variations of Cc:s, Resent-To:, etc)
it will only be forwarded to 'jill'.
You might try to generate a duplicate for each respondent you
see, and kill off the message when it doesn't contain any more,
but that doesn't really solve anything, either, and you'll have to get
creative again in order to stop Procmail from generating too many
duplicates. It all gets pretty hairy.

The short answer is that Procmail is not the right tool for this."

Is this the end of it?

Franko Luin