Re: No Progress With Win95 Mail Transferring (Success)

1999-02-26 23:27:38
To Whom,

I've received a lot of help from each of the above mailing lists and I'd
like to return something to each of you to make your life a little
easier.

Below are two scripts to process mail from Win95/98 Communicator into
Linux through procmail. The first one was constructed by me and the
other (which you'll find familiar) is borrowed from procmailrc.

If those of you, that have been following the messages, want to know why
all my efforts didn't work, maybe you might be able to gleam something
from what I found. The ^M character was not visible by any means, so
when you look over the scripts you'll find the command that uncovered
the ^M (thanks to an old e-mail by Glynn Clements).

I can't be held responsible for any damages that it may cause to your
systems, so it is "as is." But from the tests I've conducted, it works
well on a generic Linux system. All that is needed is your own
directories.

I've left most everything as it was in my system except for some
defaults that each of you will need to fill-in. The condition allows you
to view your user account mail file and mailbox inbox to be sure both of
them are zero (0) in size. This could have been automatic, but a visual
check would provide a stop if something wasn't right. Have fun!

#!/bin/bash
#
MINBOX=[your_own_linux_default_mail_directory]
MBIN=[default_linux_directory_for_this_script]
MMAIL=/var/spool/mail
MCOMM="/[linux_mount_drive]/Program Files/Netscape/Users/\
[win9x_user_directory]/Mail/[your_win9x_choice_of_mail_input]"
ls -FlA $MMAIL/[your_own_linux_mail_account]
ls -FlA $MINBOX/[your_linux_choice_of_receiving_mailbox]
echo -n "Is the file ROOT and INBOX empty (y/n)? "
read MANS
if [ "$MANS" = "y" ]
then
  cat "$MCOMM" > $MBIN/hold-mail
  tr -d '\r' < $MBIN/hold-mail > $MBIN/hold-mail2
  cat $MBIN/hold-mail2 > $MMAIL/root
  $MBIN/process-mail
  rm -f $MBIN/hold-mail $MBIN/hold-mail2
  echo "Mail has processed successfully."
  echo
fi

#!/bin/sh

ORGMAIL=/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME

if cd $HOME &&
  test -s $ORGMAIL &&
  lockfile -r0 -l1024 .newmail.lock 2>/dev/null
then
  trap "rm -f .newmail.lock" 1 2 3 13 15
  umask 077
  lockfile -l1024 -ml