expansion of $\

1999-03-05 12:36:40
This is a problem that cropped up with smartlist, but it's really a
procmail question.  I'm using 3.11pre7 under solaris 2.

I've had several smartlist lists running stable for a long time, but just
recently tried doing x-commands for the first time.  Couldn't get it to
work, until I edited the recipe line in rc.request by changing the
$\X_COMMAND_PASSWORD to just $X_COMMAND_PASSWORD.

The original recipe line was
* $^$X_COMMAND:.*$\maintainer[   ]*$\X_COMMAND_PASSWORD

In the procmailrc man page, it says
     $\name will be   substituted   by   the    all-magic-regular-expression-
     characters-disarmed  equivalent  of $name

The password I was using was just letters, no magic characters, but it
never matched until I removed that backslash.

Why?

Also, is this a bug that bites everyone and I just missed the fix for it,
or is there something special about solaris 2 that makes this happen?

I'm wondering what else might be broken that I haven't noticed.

-Andy