Re: where's STDOUT?

1999-03-08 18:07:11
Procmail-List Listener <procmail(_at_)sunsphere(_dot_)com> writes:
       :0 f
       | echo "foo"
From the logfile:

procmail: [8769] Mon Mar  8 13:01:45 1999
procmail: Assigning "PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin"
procmail: Assigning "DROPPRIVS=yes"
procmail: Assuming identity of the recipient, VERBOSE=off
procmail: Error while writing to "echo"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
From root  Mon Mar  8 13:01:45 1999
 Folder: |                                                                  5
8

I see the "error while writing to echo" but I'm at a loss here.

Procmail expects actions to process the entire content sent to them.
If they can't, procmail will flag an error.  It it was a filter then
procmail will generally recover the original body (it can fail to do so
under some rare circumstances, if I remember correctly).

So, since the action of the filter, 'echo "foo"' didn't read the entire
message, procmail assumed it failed.  To tell procmail that a write
error is expected and ignorable, put the 'i' flag on the recipe:

        :0 fi
        | echo foo

Philip Guenther