Re: /etc/aliases & /etc/procmailrc

1999-03-16 15:42:14
Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

It seems that email that I have aliased or forwarded via /etc/aliases
as opposed to being delivered locally, like my SmartList mailing
lists, do not get processed by recipes I have in /etc/procmailrc. It
seems that only locally delivered email gets processed by
/etc/procmailrc, is there a way around this?

You can wrap your aliases with procmail:

   alias         : "/usr/bin/procmail -m TARGET='joebob(_at_)example(_dot_)com'
/etc/mail/procmailrc.alias

/etc/mail/procmailrc.alias:

   INCLUDE="/etc/mail/procmailrc.knownspam"
   INCLUDE="/etc/mail/procmailrc.security"

   # preserve envelope like .forward/alias does
   :0
   * ^From \/[^ ]+[ ]+
   | $SENDMAIL -f$MATCH $TARGET

   # no envelope, must be a bounce or something, so no need to preserve
   :0
   ! $TARGET

/etc/procmailrc:

   INCLUDE="/etc/mail/procmailrc.knownspam"
   INCLUDE="/etc/mail/procmailrc.security"

The only real difference is the uid that things run under (root for
/etc/procmailrc (unless DROPPRIVS is specified, in which case everything
else is run as the recipient) and whatever the default user is for your
MTA for the alias-centric version).

Chris