Re: PLZ, filtering out duplicates in mail folder

1999-03-29 19:25:51
Josin Etienne <josin(_at_)dimensional(_dot_)com> writes:
is there a way to have procmail do the splitting itself ?  my understanding
is that the procmailrc executes commands for *each* mail msg.  but i
thought i would ask...

No.  A given procmail process treats everything fed to it as a single
message.  In configurations where procmail is automatically invoked by
the MTA (whether via a .forward file or by default) the MTA is invoking
procmail for each process that comes in.  The job of splitting up
mailboxes is an orthogonal capability which is more usefully broken out
into a separate tool with no reliance on procmail itself.

(Indeed, most of time I'm splitting mailboxes it's to invoke sendmail
on each message, not procmail.)

Philip Guenther