Re: rejecting message without a TO header.

1999-03-30 09:40:21
Jauder Ho wrote,

H> I keep getting messages like this and invariably they are spam. Does
H> anyone have an idea on how to reject such mail?

Invariably?  I post most of my submissions here Cc: the list with no To: line.

Era Eriksson recommended,

E> You could even go as far as to look for ! ^TO -- I believe this will
E> at least match the current flurry of To-less AOL spam

and Liviu Daia concurred,

D> Depending on your sendmail configuration, To:-less messages may have
D> Apparently-To: headers, and ^TO will match them.  Personally, I'm using

D>      :0:
D>      * ! ^(To|Cc):
D>      spam

Something with neither To: nor Cc: is certainly suspicious, but if there is
a Cc:, and it points to you or to a mailing list that you belong to, the
absence of To: is no indicator of spam.  Take Era's or Liviu's advice and
filter on  ! ^TO  or  ! ^(To|Cc):  instead of just  ! ^To: