Re: procmail question

1999-04-02 00:22:50
"Mark Symonds" <mark(_at_)symonds(_dot_)net> writes:
I have a tiny network with ten users on it, the
internet access is provided through a dialup connection.
We have registered a domain on a remote machine which
supports unlimited email aliases.  I created a special
"mailer" account and it runs fetchmail in daemon mode
every ten minutes to poll the remote mailbox, then it's
.procmailrc delivers the mail to the proper recipients:

Fetchmail has it's own code for handling multi-drop mailboxes which is
lot more reliable than trying to fake it up in procmail.  The fetchmail
manpage talks quite a bit about how to set it up.  If you can't find
that part, you should upgrade your copy of fetchmail.

Note that for multi-drop mailboxes to actually work correctly, the MTA
that forwards things into the single mailbox has to store somewhere in
the message the envelope recipient information.  Fetchmail will do its
best without such information, but certain things will just not be
guaranteed to work correctly without that information (in particular,
the multi-drop recipients cannot reliably be on mailing lists or recipe
Bcc's).  I know _I_ wouldn't trust my personal or work e-mail to such a
setup: having my e-mail lost or silently mis-directed would seriously
piss me off.

Philip Guenther