Error while writing to logfile

1999-04-02 07:26:36
I have a .procmailrc file set up for root on our mail server, and everything
seemed to be working fine with it until I upgraded to procmail 3.12.  I've
also just upgraded to sendmail 8.9.3, but that was from 8.9.1, so I don't
think my problem is a result of sendmail paranoia.

My problem is this:  Now, procmail is not writing to $LOGFILE, which is set to
/.procmail-log.  It's reporting to syslog

   Mar 31 09:59:55 suw3svr01 procmail[23778]: Error while writing to
"/.procmail-log"

Permissions of / and .procmailrc on the server:

   drwxr-xr-x  56 root     other        1024 Mar 30 09:04 /
   -r--r--r--   1 root     other        7722 Mar 26 13:53 /.procmailrc

.procmailrc is read-only because it is under RCS control.

Variable settings in .procmailrc:

   SHELL       = /bin/sh
   PATH        = /admin/procmail/bin:/bin:/usr/ucb

   ORGMAIL     = /var/mail/root
   MAILDIR     = /

   LOGFILE     = /.procmail-log
   LOGABSTRACT = "all"

The / partition is not full.

The procmail(1) manpage says

     Error while writing to "x"
                            Nonexistent  subdirectory,  no  write
                            permission, pipe died or disk full.

I'm at a loss here.  Any ideas?

jcl

--
Justin C. Lloyd               Harris Corporation, ISD     Voice  407/984-5558
jlloyd(_at_)harris(_dot_)com             505 John Rodes Blvd.        Fax

"A standard doesn't have to be good, it just has to be good enough. The fact
that it is a standard more than makes up the difference." -- jwz