Still no filtering

1999-04-18 14:28:43

Been digging through the pages online trying to find
out why the messages get lost whenever I turn on the
.forward file.  I've tried the standard .forward,
and even tried "|/home/csmith/bin/procmail", but all that
did was bounce a message back saying I couldn't use
executables.

As far as I can tell, there is no sendmail on that
system.  On the other hand, I can't find sendmail on
my system either, but procmail is incorporated into
the mail system, so I don't need a .forward file here.
Their system has mailx; that's all I've found so far.
Is there some other method to have the mail redirected
to procmail, which is working properly if I send a
test message something like this:

bin/procmail DEFAULT=/dev/null VERBOSE=yes $HOME/.procmailrc
 <$HOME/test.message

It does create a log file in the $MAILDIR directory,
and does sort the mail that way.  I just can't get it
to look at incoming mail from elsewhere.  As soon
as I create a .forward file, the mail starts to disappear.
Are we looking beyond the procmail issue here, and would
posting this to the comp.mail.misc newsgroup be a better
place?

Greg