Re: Problem with procmail

1999-04-18 22:51:46
Naresh M Pamnani <npamna1(_at_)uic(_dot_)edu> writes:
I am working on my Sun machine with O.S :2.5.1
I have recently installed the new version of sendmail to prevent spam
abuse on my server.
The problem I am facing now is the '.forward' file is not working.
I have created a .forward file in my account to forward the mails to some
other account but it doesnt forward.
Any Idea WHy?
Can you give me some probable solution.

If the .forward file is being completely ignored then it or some
directory that contains it probably has too loose of permissions.
Neither the .forward file, nor your home directory, nor any directory
of it should be group or world writable.

If sendmail configured to use smrsh as the 'prog' mailer?  If so, the
procmail will need to be installed in smrsh's binary directory (this
will probably be a path ending in "sm.bin").

Either way, sendmail should be logging a message to syslog that
describes what's going on.  Make sure an entry exists in syslog.conf
for "mail.debug", restart syslogd, then try using a .forward file again
and see what the log file contains.

Philip Guenther