Re: spam spool format

1999-05-02 18:05:47
On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 04:10:00PM -0700, Michael Powe wrote:
On Sun, 2 May 1999 10:00:51 -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:

I'm running a .procmailrc that calls the spam.rc file shown below:

        SPAM_LOG=${SPAM_LOG:-spam/spam.log}
        SPAM_SPOOL=${SPAM_SPOOL:-spam}
        FROM_ADDR=`formail -rtzxTo:`

        :0c
        $SPAM_SPOOL/.

# Here is where the files are sent to the spam folder.
# The /. on the end of the line tells procmail to use MH-
# style mail files, which is one message, one file.  You
# can get rid of that by removing the /. and then you
# should get a standard mbox.

Trying this recommendation seems to generate a different format that is
still in "one file per message but has the format:
"msg.IX02" "msg.JX02" etc.  Still not in Unix message format

Below is what I now have. Is this what you meant?

Yes.  I'm at work & can't check it but my understanding of the syntax
`SPAM_SPOOL=${SPAM_SPOOL:-spam}' is that it means that if $SPAM_SPOOL is not
already set, then use `spam' as the default.  At any rate, the effect of the
line is to make `spam' the folder.  If you have a directory called spam, it
may bugger this matter up.  When I set up my spam blocker, it somewhat more
politely put spam into the inbox when I did something similar (I <wanted> MH
style messages because I use MH, but it does not support the MH style).  You
can just change `:-spam' to `:-spam.block' or something like that.  Or, in
your environmental declarations at the top of the file, put in
SPAM_SPOOL=spam.block or something similar (assuming I'm right about the
syntax).  The latter would probably the more appropriate method, since
that's the entire idea behind using envars, anyway.

Aha, that was it.   The fact that I had a spam directory made was
blocking the script from writing to a "spam" file.  One I removed the
trailing '/.' and renamed the "spam" directory  I started getting a
spool file as desired.  ...........Thanks

--
Harry Putnam reader(_at_)newsguy(_dot_)com
Running Redhat Linux-5.2