Re: help -- procmail not working

1999-05-09 20:36:46
At 01:41 PM 5/9/99 -0700, psalzman(_at_)landau(_dot_)ucdavis(_dot_)edu wrote:

the problem is that when fetchmail fetches mail, the mail gets delivered to
/var/spool/mail/mail instead of /var/spool/mail/root.

I think root may be a special case... I recall reading somewhere that
root mail is treated specially, since there is a case to be made that
root mail should be directed elsewhere and read by an unprivileged username.
Why do anything as root that you don't need to do as root?

the odd thing is that even though i assign a logfile in .procmailrc, no log
file ever gets written.

[snip]

Let's take a look...

and this is my .procmailrc:
HOME=/root

Does this work?  Not sure if you can change HOME.
Might be better to use some other variable name anyway
even if it works, so as not to confuse yourself next year
when you look again  :-)

VERBOSE=on
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/MAILLOG

what is the value of $MAILDIR at *this* point, do you suppose?

SENDMAIL=/usr/lib/sendmail
MAILDIR=${HOME}/mail

Ah, *now* you set MAILDIR.  But you've already set LOGFILE
using some other value of MAILDIR.

Hope that helps,
Stan