procmail disappears!!!

1999-05-12 10:26:45
Yesterday my ISP rebuilt the shell server that I use, and for some
reason they zapped procmail, which had been living at
/usr/bin/procmail.  My .forward file looked like

"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #haferman"

and it appears that all of my e-mail went into a big black
hole when /usr/bin/procmail was removed.

I have "fixed" the problem by installing my own local copy of
procmail, but I'm wondering if there is some other way I could
have either saved my e-mail or at least have had it bounce back
to the sender.

I guess I could have built a wrapper around procmail, for example
changing my .forward to

"|IFS=' ' && exec /home/mybin/procmail-wrapper -f- || exit 75 #haferman"

where procmail-wrapper would check for the existence of procmail, etc
etc.

Any comments?