Re: How can I change the MAILER-DAEMON message while bouncing mails?

1999-06-10 12:02:59
dnp(_at_)netspace(_dot_)org writes:
I need to change the domain name in the MAILER-DAEMON message when
bouncing back messages. So, if I bounce back messages from say,
"mydomain.net", instead of "MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)net" I want
procmail to
use "MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)someotherdomain(_dot_)net". I took a look at the
Procmail FAQ
but could not figure out a way to achieve this. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If the bounce is being generated by your MTA (i.e., before it gets to
procmail) then it's a matter of how you MTA canonifies that address.

<sendmail specific info follows>

If you're using sendmail, you'll have to hack the sendmail.cf.  Let's
see, I *think* that with a .cf file generated using the 8.9.3 M4
generator you would need to add a rule to the S93 ruleset.  Right
before the rule that reads:

You would add:

R$n < @ *LOCAL* > $*    $: $n < @ $j . @ someotherdomain.net > $2

Preferable would be to put the domain name into a variable and just
reference that:

DD someotherdomain.net
R$n < @ *LOCAL* > $*    $: $n < @ $j . @ $D > $2

I'm not 100% sure that'll work, but maybe it'll give you ideas.

Philip Guenther