Re: Terminology (was Re: Nesting and braces)

1999-06-23 08:06:42
On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:18:19 -0400, Stan Ryckman
<stanr(_at_)sunspot(_dot_)tiac(_dot_)net> wrote:
         [ prelude line   :0 flags :lock maybe
xxxxxxx  [             [  * condition
         [ conditions  [  * condition
         [             [  * condition
          yyyy             action
Here "xxxxxxx" stands for what I have tentatively called "prelude"
above. What would be a suitable term? (I don't think "prelude" really
cuts it because you will end up being confused between "prelude line"
[if we keep that] and "prelude".)
How about "preaction" (or "pre-action")?

Hum, I'd prefer an existing word. How about just "colon line" for the,
uh, colon line, and "prelude" for the stuff up to the action?

Probably there should also be something to cover both braces and
actual actions (i.e. yyyy can be action or braces, and action can be
file, forward, or pipeline).
Well, the man page currently calls '{' an action (specifically, it says
that the action line can start with one).

Yeah, that's "action line" as opposed to "action", but that has the
same problem as "prelude" vs. "prelude line".

My trouble is remembering that setting a variable is *NOT* an action.
It seems like it "ought" to be.  :-)

Yeah. At least you should get a warning for anything that looks too
much like an assignment (without a pipe, as in variable capture) IMHO.

/* era */

--
.obBotBait: It shouldn't even matter whether     <http://www.iki.fi/era/>
I am a resident of the state of Washington. <http://members.xoom.com/procmail/>