Re: home mailing list

1999-06-26 12:07:26
At 13:25 1999-06-26 -0500, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:

List mail would still go to the domain server mail box. Once an hour my
home PC would dial in (cron), check the list mailbox with fetchmail, use

Any chance you have a static IP assignment, have your own domain or could
convince your ISP to assign you a subdomain from theirs
(lee.inebraska.com), for your home server?  If so, you could then have an
unlimited number of REAL mailboxes on your server, and your mail would
simply be secondaried by your ISP (queued up there whenever you're not
online).  Reading your description of the process, it seems ALL your mail
is going through one user account at your ISP, which, while workable, isn't
nearly as versatile.

What I need to know is, is there some way to have procmail pipe one letter
at a time to the list program, wait for it to execute or fork, and then
send the next letter? The list program is written to only handle one
letter at a time.

Easy, just put an explicit lock on the recipe:

:0:mylistlock
* condition
| yourlistprogram

Procmail won't deliver additional messages until the previous one has been
completed.

This can also be useful in other conditions where you might not normally
need a lockfile - such as memory & CPU hogging support programs.  Getting
cut off from the outside world for 30 minutes and then getting the backlock
of mail can take an otherwise reasonable machine to its knees if there are
a lot of memory intensive things trying to run simultaniously (my spam
filters are a bit piggish, I know this from firsthand experience).  Queing
the messages to be handled one at a time by using locking as a throttle
solves that problem.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395